Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Let's Go to Camp!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
We're having a minor plot bunny infestation. Nothing to worry about.
For those who haven't heard, NaNoWriMo is launching a new program called Camp NaNoWriMo beginning July 1st. The details are all still a bit hazy, but Camp NaNo is supposed to be a year-round version of National Novel Writing Month, the only difference being that you can choose which month to participate.

This is good news for those who are too busy in November, or would like to participate in the high-octane/caffeine-filled days of nanoveling multiple times a year.

That being said, I myself have decided to take a break from my current novel to write something a lot more fun and silly for Camp NaNo. I'm hoping to revisit why I love to write so very, very much and NaNoWriMo is as great a venue as any to do it! Too often, it's easy to get caught up in perfectionism, particularly when in pursuit of publication, and lose sight of the beautiful, intricate chaos that is writing. I want to remember that sheer enjoyment, the kind of puerile joy I had as a young girl just starting out, typing up Legend of Zelda and Star Wars fanfiction in her spare time*.

If you're interested in noveling during July (or August, etc.), I'd definitely encourage you to check out the Camp NaNo site once it's up -- I'm not sure when that will be, but hopefully soon! *crosses fingers* I'll keep you posted!

Seriously, if you want to participate or have questions, drop me a comment! A strong support system (and/or some light competition) is essential for these sorts of manic write-a-thons, and I'd love to write alongside you this July!

* Let's be honest, I still dabble in both on occasion. Fangirl 4 lyfe! ;)

3 comments:

  1. Have fun with that! I don't do NaNoWriMo myself, but let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @CNHolmberg - Thanks! I look forward to NaNo every year, so it's like an early present to be able to do it in July! Here's to hoping all those extra hours of free time will be put to good use! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You already know I'm in ha. Bring it on :D

    ReplyDelete