Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Brief Update

"You must stay drunk on writing
 so that reality cannot destroy you."
- Ray Bradbury
I finished the first draft of my fantasy/horror short story that remains as of yet untitled. As you can see from the Current Writing Projects section of the sidebar, it turned out to be a little over 10,000 words, which is a lot longer than I had intended or foreseen. As a partial experimentation in short story writing, I thought it went fairly well.

Doubtless it needs editing, but I'm going to let it breathe some before tackling it. Like a fine wine, I've found most of my writing is more palatable after some time has passed (and my inner editor has a chance to chill the heck out).

It is a relief to be done, though! I love the feeling of completion, having seen a project through from beginning to end. Nothing like it in the world. The only odd thing is, as much as I wanted to be finished, I'm already antsy to start another project, haha! So goes the life of a writer, I s'ppose! No rest for the inspired!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Feel free to let me read it when it's done. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @CNHolmberg - Well, if I can get it published, then you'll definitely get to read it. ;) Speaking of, do you happen to know of any good magazines/ezines that are taking fantasy submissions at the moment?

    ReplyDelete